Sunday, April 20, 2014

Go get some greater demons...

Well, this seems to be the year of third party models/bits from other people beyond the big GW.  Anvil Industries, Mantic, and Dreamforge are all  producing top quality stuff I would be proud to have in my collection.  In fact, a lot of the stuff coming out is a nice way to really customize and personalize your army to be pretty much a unique force on the table top.  KrautScientist over on Eternal Hunt has a few articles, link to the first, about how the new Scion kit from GW is a good base for all sorts of modeling goodness.  So as technology progresses, and 3-D modeling becomes standard I think we will see more "not-GW" models being produced at a faster rate.  I work at an art college, we have a fabrication lab on campus, 3-D modeling software (Sculptris) is on every campus computer AND you can download for free as well.  The students are already producing some good first efforts... so a few people with more experience will make GW quality, or better.

Now I'm not knocking GW, I feel A LOT of the quality of their models has skyrocketed, and they are producing some top quality stuff.  That skyrocketing model detail has also brought some skyrocketing model prices as well.  I'm not bagging on them for their pricing either... if I don't like it, I'll quit buying... from them.  With all that being said, I'm sure they will take notice of this, if they haven't already.


Va va va vooom! ;-)



These minis, if they can be called minis, are amazing.  If they look anything like the the computer sculpts then sign me up.  Actually, doesn't matter... I already pledged.  I'm planning on getting the mini pictured above since I'm not a fan of GW's Lord of Change.  This will do nicely however.  Is it Apoc sized?  I don't think so, but I believe the 6" mark places it right around Imperial Knight size which totally works.  Size issues aside, personally I'll always err on the side of a larger model so no arguments really spring up, these feel like Greater Demons should and for a decent price as well.

I think if you're a self-respecting Chaos player then you may want to go and take a look at this Kickstarter.  You'll probably like what you see and may want to pledge.  If you don't want to pledge then sit back and see how far it goes... it only went live yesterday and they are already completely funded.

This should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment